Security systems for apartments?

I live in an apartment building and my husband is deployed right now. I'm scared that now that he is gone, someone is going to prey on me since I'm more vulnerable, living alone.

Basically, I want to know what kinds of things I can do to protect myself from intrusion. The area I live in is a pretty safe area, but there have been incidents on the street below with people breaking into cars and loitering around the complex. Our door doesn't have a deadbolt and there is a giant window next to the door.

Would most landlords be ok with someone installing a deadbolt? What about timed lights or a motion detector? Are there any kind of home security systems that are specifically for apartments, maybe like door alarms or something?



Answer:
Sure, there are very good systems for apartments! Make sure you get a system that is NOT hard-wired, and has a back-up battery pack.

You should also get a monitoring service. You can get a service apart from the equipment.

ALSO, for God's sake, get some sort of special lock for that window by the door. I don't have to tell you how dangerous a window by a door is. It only takes a few seconds for a nut to break the window, reach in, and open the door from the outside. An alarm going off will not always deter a real junkie. So get something to lock that window very securely at night.

Look into an alarm for each door that leads to the outside. Also, I love the infra-red motion alarms, but if you get some of these, remember that pets can set them off, so get the ones that are pet-sensitive.

My folks have a very expensive house and they did not go with ADT, who charges hideous amounts for just a few cheap alarms and a horrible, horribly monthly fee for monitoring. There are other very good and reliable companies that charge half the amount for monitoring and I would very much suggest you DO get a monitoring service. When your alarms go off, the monitor sees it and will call you and the police.

As far as the landlord and the deadbolt: you need to ask him. If your current lock is a P.O.S., he should be grateful that you are buying him a good lock. Of course, he will need a copy of the key.

In my apartment, I also have security "bars" to jam under the front and back doors. If you don't have the cash for an alarm system, then at least get these for the doors, and get some sort jamming device for each window so that they cannot be lifted up from the outside. A window-stopper, in general. 



power by Yahoo answer

1 comment:

  1. ADT provides highly technological security systems and the rate within your budget. So don’t sacrifice your valuable goods for few dollars to set up a security system.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails